Friday, May 15, 2015

Pulp Mock-Up Cover

Sketched this out last night in Karl's class. Then scanned it today and tried to get that pulpy look to it. I think its getting there but still needs a few other elements, like, I dunno..say a background! (What a novel idea!)

Also speaking of classic pulp illustrations, RIP Glenn Orbik, who passed away this past week from cancer. Glenn was a wonderful Pulp comic book and book cover illustrator right here in CA. I had the privilege of taking his class once and found him to be not only an awesome teacher, but also a wonderful human being. He inspired a whole new generation of artists by giving back with his teaching and his work, and his legacy will live on in all of us. He's in Pulp heaven now.





2 comments:

  1. wow Holy crap. He passed away!? Glenn is the $h!t; he was always so nice to me, too, at 3Kicks when I saw him, with his cool pony tail. Man, he will be missed! I'm so honoured to have met him; he really epitomizes great artist. I'm sure April knows, too (I hope); she spent a lot of time learning from him, also (I asked her who she thought were some of her best teachers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOTES! You literally google Glen Orbik and a bunch of badass pulp covers will pop up. He freaking wrote the book on pulp covers. So yea we lost a legend this week. My only hope is that I can channel some of the cool stuff he did into my own work. I really enjoy the limited color palates and graphic styles they used in the 50s, the heydey of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete