Friday, December 11, 2015

Flatting in Manga Studio 5

Welp, no one's winning any awards for this image, but it marks an important step in my journey of making my own graphic novel, and that is learning all the tools available to me, and how the pros are pulling this sh*t off. I realized the look I'm going for is a flat, cel shaded anime look (no surprises there...) Special thanks to my badass friend Jules Rivera the indie comic book diva for jumping on Google hangouts with me yesterday and giving me a quick tutorial on how to use ref layers in manga studio to quickly flat an image (check her out - julesrivera.com). Tutorials on youtube are awesome but there's nothing like having a live person there to show you the ropes and field any questions. Jules's is currently in the process of setting up her own patreon right now so stay tuned for that. All good things!

Below is Bianca pictured in the sexist environment of her father's Auto repair shop where she works as the secretary and service advisor. Anca secretly dreams of working on cars with the guys, but doesn't dare speak up about it because that would most certainly cause a righteous shit storm. It's a major point of contention between Anca and her father Santino, who is very conservative and doesn't believe women belong in the garage. Every day Anca waits for everyone to go home and then gears up and works on friends and neighbors cars through the night and into the wee hours of the morning. Read- GALS, if you were born to do something, don't let anyone or anything get in your way!

Below are a few process images-










Starts as a rough sketch stained with whatever I ate for lunch that day..

Inked in manga studio

Flatted in Photoshop, before I knew about manga studio

Added BG

Flatted in Manga Studio, WIN! So much easier than PS

Finally, add deets, shadows, highlights and lighting

No comments:

Post a Comment