Sunday, August 4, 2013

Anatomy with Robert Armetta

Well I really can't say enough good things about the Anatomy class I took with Robert Armetta at the NYAA. Robert is so funny and he injects these little stories into his lectures which make what could be a very dry subject matter very entertaining and fun. Also I found his critiques of people's work and my own very helpful. He is careful not to discourage the aspiring artist, but he also says what is obvious and needs to be said, while also being careful not to come on too strong or insist you follow his advice. He makes useful suggestions, and its up to you whether or not you're going to follow them (If you're smart you will). In my humble opinion, there is nothing worse than paying $500 for a class, only to have the instructor pat you on the back and say "good job!" Thats just not helpful at all.

So Robert was all around great, and he was even kind enough to bring in some of his personal work, and demonstrate some of the tools in his toolbox. He emphasized the importance of keeping a sketchbook and to keep drawing as much as possible. He left us with one final piece of wisdom on Saturday, and that is, if you want to be a great artist, you must MASTER anatomy. Its not good enough to have a basic knowledge. If you want to be like the old masters ( Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Rafael, Rembrandt, Sargent...) and you admire their work, then you must MASTER anatomy just as they did.

It sort of lit a fire in me. Up until now I was content to just know the general proportions and shapes of the body and have the rest be shrouded in mystery, but now I won't be satisfied until I truly understand how each muscle works and the mechanics of the body in depth. And even then, there is infinite possibilities for learning! And so, my journey continues. My sincere thanks Robert!

The following drawings are posted in chronological order, the first being at the outset of the class and the others towards the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment